Monday, December 17, 2012

On the cusp

We dug foxholes until the blisters on our hands were no longer blisters
Our faces saturated with crude bitter earth
And blood
In record time our tombs complete
We stood above for a spell of eternity to admire the craftsmanship
I devoured the view with my eyes as I slowly fisted my sharred hands wringing with earth and blood
The smell of the coming storm swirled with the gusts of wind stealing my own breath momentarily
At that moment of swooping determination and accomplishment
I was one
I was of the earth
(Yet not in it)
I was the fucking center
Launching my steadfast gaze onto the expansive bruise colored distance
that wanted my defeat as a trophy
Not today.no.not today.
And with a nod to the universe I lifted my feet from the cusp of certainty and surrendered my days to the warm arms of Gaia.
And the mortars of our enemies rang home all night
Lullabies for the ages
We writhed in our pits pulling the cold from the dirt as our bodies sunk to the core
Your face asking for how long
And my voice echoing the uncertainty
But somehow reassuring you
Not long....

No comments: